(Visited 4,326 times, 1 visits today)
Roast Pork with Crispy Crackling
To get the perfect crispy crackling, follow this Roast Pork with Crackling recipe and you will succeed every time. This dish is delicious during spring, summer, autumn and winter.
- 1.3 kg Pork loin boned and rolled (ask your butcher to do this)
- Oil ground nut or vegetable
- Sea salt
- 3 Eating apples cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp Plain flour
- 400 ml Vegetable or chicken stock (fresh, cube or concentrate)
Preperation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 2.5 hours
Required number of servings: people
- Pre-heat the oven to 240C/fan 220C/gas 9. Lightly oil a roasting tin and put it in the oven to get hot.
- Rub oil into the skin of the pork, season the the pork with sea salt, then put the pork loin in the hot tin and roast for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 190C, fan oven 170C or gas 5 and roast for a further 30 minutes per 500g.
- Take the pork from the tin and rest in a warm place before carving into slices. Meanwhile, drain the excess fat from the roasting tin onto a baking tray. Add the apples to the hot fat, turn to coat all over and roast for 10 minutes. Take out and keep warm.
- Put the roasting tin directly over a low heat, sprinkle in the flour and mix well. Then slowly add the stock, stirring well and letting it all bubble together until you have a gravy. Season and sieve into a jug.
- Serve the pork with the roasted apples and gravy. Or if you want the full Sunday dinner experience, our Roast Potatoe Recipe. Chefs Top Tip: To get crispy crackling, you must score the skin of the pork with a sharp knife which you can do yourself or ask your butcher to do it for you. Then you need to rub oil into the skin before cooking and season well with salt. For better results, allow the oiled and salted pork to sit for 20 minutes to bring it up to room temperature before cooking.