Egg Fried Rice
Chinese food is not difficult to perfect, the classic authentic flavour of Egg Fried Rice is easily achieved by remembering a couple of simple rules. These rules are: Prepare the ingredients before stir frying and always use a hot smoking Wok.
- 1 cupfull basmati long grain (or jasmine rice)
- 1 cupfull frozen peas
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil or Chinese stir fry oil
- 2 back bacon rashers chopped into dice or thin strips
- 1 small red pepper chopped
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 large spring onion finely sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp five spice powder (heaped)
- To make egg fried rice first fill a roomy saucepan with water, bring to the boil and tip in a heaped teaspoon of salt - the water will bubble furiously. Pour in the rice, stir once and return to the boil, then turn the heat down a little so that the water is boiling steadily, but not vigorously.
- Boil uncovered, without stirring (this makes for sticky rice) for 10 minutes. After 8 minutes, throw in the frozen peas, boil for 2 minutes and drain (don't rinse).
- Heat the sunflower oil in a wok and stir fry the bacon for 3-4 minutes until crisp. Tip in the red pepper, spring onion and the garlic cloves and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice to the wok, continue to stir and toss the rice for another minute until all the ingredients have mixed and the rice feels loose in the pan.
- Beat the eggs, pour into the pan and stir fry until the egg just sets. Add the Chinese 5-spice. Serve the Egg Fried Rice either on its own or with one of our other dishes, for example our delicious Billy Kee Chicken.