(Visited 1,901 times, 1 visits today)
Brocolli & Blue Cheese Soup
Every time I make this soup recipe, I briefly acquire more friends. It's full bodied flavour is very comforting particularly on a cold winters evening in front of the fire.
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic optional
- 1 large potato peeled and cubed
- 1 red pepper
- 2 inches chorizo sausage peeled and chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 large head of broccoli about 300g, roughly chopped
- 100 gram blue cheese such as Stilton or Rouquefort, crumbled
- 100 ml double cream optional (but tastes good)
- ground black pepper
- 2 spring onions finely chopped
Preperation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Required number of servings:
- Cook the onion, chorizo and optional garlic in 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan until soft, about 5 minutes or so. Add the potatoes.
- Pre-heat your oven to 220C and place the red pepper on a roasting tray inside the oven for 20 minutes or so until the pepper is slightly charred.
- Add the broccoli to the soup pan and cook for 1 minute, then add the vegetable stock and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes until the broccoli is just tender and still bright green. Add the pepper, as much as you like.
- Using a hand blender or food processor, whizz to a smooth texture and add half of the cheese stirring the soup whilst the cheese melts.
- Remove the seeds from the red pepper by cutting it in half and scraping the seeds and pith away, chop and add to the soup along with the spring onions.
- Turn off the pan, add the optional cream, stir then serve the soup with the rest of the cheese crumbled over. What makes this soup even more delightful is the smooth texture along with the small flecks of red pepper and chorizo which just lifts the flavour.